Tuesday, April 01, 2003

I failed my 1 hour glucose tolerance test, so they had me come back for the 3 hour test yesterday. For those unaware, they draw my blood then give me this soda sugar drink. I then have to wait an hour and they draw my blood again. For the 3 hour, I was stuck hanging around the hospital (with St. Blixx keeping me rational) and having to go back every hour for 3 hours to have blood drawn. Oh, and I had to fast since 9pm the night before. By the end of the test, I was grumpy and HUNGRY!!! Mmmm, that burger tasted good.

Anyway, I have gestational diabetes, which is to say that I'm diabetic for the rest of my pregnancy. I have a meeting on Thursday to learn how to prick my finger and test my blood, which will have to be done numerous times daily, then I'll meet with a dietician to come up with a meal and excersise plan. Pre-pregnancy I was not the most active person in the world and now that I'm all swollen with child I'm going to have to learn to get active. Arg!!!!!!! Not my idea of fun, but this is all worth it, right? Joy of motherhood, and all that crap? My blood sugar levels are quite high so I may have to inject myself with insulin too. I've been reading up and the diet changes shouldn't be all that hard to make - I can have some sweets even, but have to watch what else I take in for the day. I'll know more after my MD appt on Thursday.

What does this mean for the baby? Probably nothing. She'll be fine, although there's the risk that she'll be a big baby and that I may need to be induced some weeks prior to my original due date (June 18th) so that she won't rip me wide open on her way out. Love the imagery? Thought you would. I'm also at risk for having a c-section, again to avoid the complications of pushing a 10lb watermelon out of a relatively small hole. She could have difficulty breathing and any number of challenges in her young life, but this gestational diabetes is pretty common and all should be well.

Right?

No comments: