Saturday, April 12, 2003

I pee on a stick every morning to test my ketones, which measure how the body is burning energy while sleeping. I check my blood sugar level via a pricked finger 4 times a day. I am on a low carb diet, which means that I have to watch my sugar content, as well as laying off the pasta, rice, milk....the list goes on & on. Did any of you know that there are carbs in just about everything? And portion sizes listed on packaging...total crock!! I have to eat 6 smaller meals a day, rather than the traditional 3, which is a bit of a time hassle but I'm working on it.

I inject myself with insulin nightly, and as of yet there has been no drastic reduction of my blood sugar levels. Am I worried? Yep. Do I feel ok otherwise? Yep.

It was about a week after the diagnosis before I could get in to see the dietician and come up with a meal plan, so I was was winging it with the help of the wonderful internet. Turns out that I was drasticly underfeeling myself and that being pregnant I can't totally eliminate the carbs or the baby will have nothing to grow on. I still can't eat a hot fudge sundae, but at least I can feel full after eating a meal.

Tempest - please tell your family and grandfather that he's in my heart and prayers for a speedy recovery. Call me.

No comments: