Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Dancing Naked Around the Fire

I spent Sunday afternoon getting gear & food ready, loading boats onto the Jeep, etc. I kissed the husband & daughter goodbye around 4:30 & headed to Oxford, MA. Lucky for me, there was a nice guy fishing with his kid who offered to assist me in getting the boats off the car - woo hoo - Blixx's boat is longer & heavier than I can really handle by myself. I took both kayaks because I wanted to bring a whole bundle of wood with me, just in case. HEHE I'm a pyro!

It was difficult to paddle against the wind with the other boat in tow, but I took it slow & steady. I made landfall by 6 & set up the tent. It's Blixx's smaller tent, the one I was so mad that he bought right before he went to Colorodo, & it sets up in like 2 seconds. That left me plenty of time to build the perfect fire. Someone had left these huge logs from a downed tree that made a perfect outer ring, then some smaller of the same. Some paper & kindling went into the middle then WOOSH I had a rager! I had steak kabobs & pasta salad for dinner, sitting watching my fire consume itself. Interesting metaphor there.

I got 1/2 way through my bottle of wine (it's important to bring the right gear camping) when I decided to head out for an evening paddle. Out I went into the lake. It was beautiful under the stars, but I started getting wigged out that I was so isolated & in a boat & 1/2 drunk & all stoned - perhaps it was the paranoia talking, but I decided that I needed to be on dry land. As I'm paddling around to my side of the island, I hear a big rustling in the woods. I zap it with my headlamp & find that I'm staring at a big ass racoon. He was on the mainland & no threat, but it was both comforting & disturbing that I wasn't as alone as I thought.

Once back on dry land, I continued on my quest to finish the bottle of wine. I was a little damp from the paddle & decided to change into warmer clothes. There was no one around & the tent is small, so I dropped trou & started to get changed right there around the fire. I'm bending over to adjust my shoes when I realize how good the fire feels on my bottom...

Yep, I danced around the fire naked. Well, I had sandals on cuz there's a lot of broken glass around, but for the most part I was naked. It was a silly thing to do, to sing a little tune & dance. It was a brief moment before modesty (to who, the racoon? Damn that whole Catholic thing runs deep) took over & I put clothes back on. It was invigorating. Ok, you're thinking I'm crazy. Yes, I am!

Later that evening there was a huge rustling on the mainland. I whistled & it stopped for a moment, then continued on even faster in the opposite direction. No clue what it was - deer, big dog - but I was psyched that I was island bound. I went to bed & passed out cold.

I was awoken by the sound of a thousand chipmunks churping around my tent, scurrying about looking for kabob scraps. I looked out the tent & the lake was covered with a thick white fog. It was breathtaking, but it also told me it was too damn early to get up. Back to sleep & when I next awoke, there was just a fine mist on the water & the sun was shining. After a brief visit to the nearest tree, I grabbed my coffee thermus & headed back out onto the water for a while. It was lovely to watch the sun burn the dew off the shore & the wisps of mist churning around the bow of the kayak as I paddled around. Truly a beautiful way to start the day.

Back at camp, I made a fire with the rest of the wood & toasted my bagel on the open fire. I've been reading the Best of SciFi short stories & got through a couple of them just hanging out in the dappled sunlight around the fire. I slowly broke down camp & reluctantly left my island escape. I put the smaller boat back onto the Jeep, then paddled out to the whole other side of the lake. It was windy so I didn't get far, but I did see some rivers that will bear exploring another day. There's a picnic area & beach over there that I explored, then spent some more time reading & eating my Regatta sandwich. While walking around I found a Patriots lighter sitting on the ground. I take that as a sign that we'll win the Superbowl again this year.

I loaded the boat back up, after only 1 failed attept that almost took my fingers off, and headed home. Blixx & Cass were happy to see me & he'd cooked dinner & it was good to be home.

I didn't have a vision quest or anything dramatic like that, but I proved that I can take care of myself and be alone. I did some thinking & realized yet again what a lucky girl I am to have such wonderful family & friends. Biggest realization of all, I figured out that I have to take better care of myself, both physicly & mentally, cuz I'm my own worst enemy.

No comments: