Wednesday, September 28, 2005

My So Called Life

"There are so many different ways to be connected to people. There are the people you feel this unspoken connection to, even though there's not even a word for it. There's the people who you've known forever who know you in this way that other people can't because they've seen you change. They've let you change."

"Sometimes it seems like we're all living in some kind of prison, and the crime is how much we all hate ourselves. It's good to get really dressed up once in a while and admit the truth -- that when you really look closely, people are so strange and so complicated that they're actually beautiful. Possibly even me."

HBO is running re-runs of this series and I've been watching them as I work from home. What an amazingly insightful drama, not just about high school but about everything. About how people want us to be and how it is so easy to fit into that mold without a second thought, until it's too late and you cease to remember who you really are and what you're really supposed to be doing. It's about how you can be in a crowd of thousands and still feel alone.

Clearly I need to get out more as I'm seeking realization from a cancelled tween drama. I guess I get that high school feeling from all the other mom's I know - who I regularly rate myself against in an unbelievable degree of detail and much like high school, I come up short.

No comments: