Tuesday, May 22, 2001


I’m back from CT. Wow, what a great time. It was a shame that we didn’t get more time to spend with Darkmoon and Alvero (who needs a nickname with a cool ass real name like that!) but it was great to see them and re-open the doors of friendship. We’ve been out of touch with each other for some time – not for any real reason, just that we’re both pretty bad about keeping in touch. Alvero seems a little normal to be hanging out with our crowd, but he’s got to have some oddities if he and Darkmoon have been together so long. He just hides his freak flag better than we all do.

So, we drank a case of beer and went into the Wayback Machine, recalling stories both old & new. Tempest and Purge both look terrific. They’ve lost a ton of weight with Weight Watchers. I’m not the type of person who’s into counting points of eating microwave popcorn for dinner, but it worked for them and I’m very proud that they stuck to their guns and didn’t dive back into a Ben n Jerry’s fit. They’ve got a wonderful dog named Gus that decided our air mattress in the living room was as good a place as any to crash for the night. I got shoved off the bed as Gus and my husband cuddled for the night. Blixx really wants a dog, but a 3-room apartment isn’t the place for the big dog we’re hoping to get, so he took the opportunity to make a canine friend.

Nghtskye and his Angel were there too. At first she seemed normal and I had concerns, but after chatting with her for a while and hearing about the tiny paper thongs, I realized that she’s just as uncouth and bizarre as the rest of the gang. An excellent match – and she looks real cute in her little PJ’s. Not that I was looking or anything. 

Shrek is a hysterical send up of fairy tales that had me falling off my seat laughing so hard. GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!! Who would have thought that a conversation between a donkey and an ogre could be so damn funny, but there it was. I won’t be a spoiler, but I’ve decided that the best part is when the princess Fiona sings to the bird, before breakfast. I still chuckle just thinking about it. I’m chuckling right now. While I recommend this movie to my strange friends, I’ve heard that kids just aren’t as impressed with the movie as adults aren’t. A man I work with actually had to bribe his 6-year-old daughter with promise of a new toy in order to get her to sit through the rest of the movie. He had a great time however. She doesn’t even know who the Muffin Man is! While I enjoyed the flick, I do regret that Disney has gotten so far away from their classic children’s tales and that they include such adult oriented humor in their movies.

I’ve got to decide what I want to do here at work. When I was hired, my manager told me that after 6 months she’d promote me to manager of this little department. Well, with the hiring freeze on we can’t create a new position so I’m SOL on that score. My manager’s manager MAY need an assistant in a few months, which might be a great way for me to move up in the Inbound Dept, but I don’t see where I could go from there. I could move to either member services (supports corp. client idiots) or job seeker support (how do I make my resume good and stuff?) but I don’t think the pay is as good as what I’m getting to sit here and type to you all. I don’t have enough work to do and I’m bored. It’s tempting to say nothing and continue to surf the web, but I’m at a point in my life that I want to be challenged. With Blixx out of work, now probably isn’t the time for me to be changing careers, but all the looking I’ve been doing for friends gets me thinking.

But thinking hurts, so it’s back to work!

Into the future…

No comments: