Friday, July 23, 2004

some recent observations

On the way out the other night, I took a shortcut thru a less than savory section of Worcester.  As I'm waiting for the light & hoping I don't get shot, I look over & see a maybe 2 yr old boy climbing on a shopping cart. It only took him a second to knock it over on top of himself.  As he's screaming bloody murder (fell on sidewalk!) his 'mother' comes over, grabs his arm in that way mom's haul kids, and starts screaming at him "What did I tell you? Stop being stupid or you'll get hurt! You deserve more than a bump on the head! Quit your yelling & go play!" She then let go of the screaming child and went into the house, leaving him on the street sniffling. 

I observed in my rearview that he was right back screwing around with the shopping cart again.

Horrifying that a mom would care so little.

________________

Working the front desk of the station, I meet all sort of interesting folks.  Characters even.

Yesterday a cute guy came in to pick up some movie tickets he'd won. As I'm getting his loot together, he tells me that he had just found out his girlfriend was cheating on him. He went to suprise her  and saw her getting out of his friends car, in his friends boxers.  He waited until she got into the house, then knocked & asked her what was up.  She said 'nuthin'. He asked where she'd been. She said home alone. He asked about the boxers. She said they were his.  Unfortunately, his friend's name was written on the waistband.

He's got to wait around for a while to get his prize so I sit his overly emotional ass down in the lobby to wait.  We listen to WXLO here by my desk and the station proceeded to play 6 love songs in a row. All kinds of love em & leave em, heartbreaker songs. I swear to you that the dude was misting up. This big cute dude misting up in the lobby of a business cuz we were playing sappy love songs.  Struck me as funny/sad.

_________________________

Had a guy tell me that I'm so cheerful on the phone that he wanted to marry me.  Or give me a ride on his Harley. Either one, he wasn't a picky man.

No comments: