Thursday, May 27, 2004

Death in the Family

My Aunt Gail, my mom's sister, past away this week. She was almost 60 and had lived her life in a wheelchair, due to a spinal disease that rendered her legs useless. My mother called hysterical to tell me this news, & about how she is attending the memorial in Maryland next week, and wants to say a few words.

Ok, here's the thing. Gail had a temper and would mouth off all the time to my grandmother. They had a HUGE fight like 15 years ago and Nanny told her to never talk to her again. So she didn't. Being stubborn runs in the family too. My mom & my aunt cut off contact as well. Gail was very active with the Salvation Army, as they had done a great job of raising her & making her more able bodied. Thru them she had many friends, one of whom invited her to move to Baltimore with his family. She did & has lived there quite happily ever since, having no contact with our family. After Nanny passed, Gail made some calls to try to contact my mom & Alice, both directly & through the lawyers but they kept their distance, fearing that she would contest the will (Which left her nothing).

After all this time my mother is beside herself, probably guilt ridden that she didn't make contact sooner. I think its hypocritical for her to speak at the service, as she really made no effort to be a part of her sisters life these last years. It's empty sentiment years too late.

Please raise a glass of choice beverage to my aunt Gail, who was stronger than any of us will ever be, just by getting out of bed in the morning.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Damn, I'm sorry about Auntie Gail!