Monday, July 22, 2002

After a rainy start, the weekend was wonderful. Yep, every time I go camping it rains. So, we put up a tarp at the dock and loaded the canoe and kayaks under it. The camp site was better than we even imagined, with a great fire ring and a ton of already chopped wood waiting for us. The outhouse was…well, an outhouse – adequate in intestinal emergencies (buffalo wings for dinner make for a long run in AM) but I still preferred the fresh air peeing behind a tree.

So, we didn’t get on to the island & start setting up camp until almost dark so we were all in a mad rush to get the tents up etc. Once we settled down & started drinking in earnest, it had to be almost 10pm. That’s where the buffalo wings came in. I have informed Blixx that buffalo while camping is a bad idea, especially after 42 beers at 11 at night. Anywho, we drank until wicked late in the night then all passed out.

Did I mention that Blixx forgot the canoe paddles at home. Yep, so Toad dragged him in the canoe FILLED with all of our stuff across the lake. Well, my bladder woke me at 7am on Saturday so I was up awfully early. Blixx & Toad both got up for similar reasons and we spent a few minutes by the fire before Toad & I came to our senses and headed back into our tents for more sleep. Blixx in the other hand was all pumped up and said he was going for a morning paddle. Whatever…just let the Tylenol kick in and let me rest for a few more hours. So, I pass out cold.

I am awakened by Blixx banging and yelling by the campfire. It seems that while we blissfully slept away the last dredges of the boozing antics of the night before, Blixx had paddled back to the dock, loaded his boat on the Jeep, driven back to Worcester to get the paddles, unloaded his boat at the dock and paddled back. He was stunned to find that we were still in bed when he came back, so he decided to be super loud making coffee. He had a dream that we’d all be awake and have a hot breakfast waiting for him. Silly boy!

The afternoon was spent drinking & smoking around the fire, talking about getting up but not actually doing it. We did have some panic that there wouldn’t be enough beer so we took an afternoon paddle over to the dock to re-supply the cooler. I got a little color while riding in the complete comfort of the canoe. We tooled around the lake until a weird kayak guy started to stalk us so we split. We put on our PFD’s & floated with beers in the late evening to wash & cool off. Dinner was rosemary maple marinated steak with veggie potato surprise and foccachia (sp?) bread heated on the flames– out of this world! More drinking until all hours of the night. We finally put Toad & Tadpole to bed, then Blixx & I had some campfire fun of our own. There’s nothing like firelight reflecting off…well, you get the idea. Good times, good times!

Coffee seemed to be a challenge for the morning, first too strong then too weak then no water…yeah, we were crispy & not really thinking too clearly. Breakfast was leftover steak, hash browns, bacon, eggs & cheese all swirled together & cooked on the fire. Oh & served with a toasted roll. I’m convinced that we’re all going to hell for eating it but it tasted awesomely good going down. I told the guys that I wanted my tombstone to read “It was a damn good breakfast that killed her.” We lazed around for the afternoon then slowly started to break camp. Poor Tadpole thought he’d be home at 6pm to play with his kids before they went to bed – he didn’t leave Toad’s house until 8pm. I got home at 9ish and headed right for the shower. It felt real good to have running water and soap.

It was a great time and I’m glad that the guys let me go along. I hope I didn’t impede any of their antics, but I don’t imagine so. My burps made me fit in nicely, although no one farts quite like Tadpole in the early am. I had good ideas and never complained about the outhouse situation. I would have enjoyed a shower at some point in there, but it was a nice swim and I had a hat so it’s all good. It was a really relaxing weekend and I’m glad that we were able to get away before the house takes over our lives.

No comments: