Thursday, August 01, 2002

So, I'm doing a little research on Security Deposits and MA State Laws:
IF THE LANDLORD FAILS . . .

to pay interest on last month's rent within 30 days termination of tenancy;
to deposit the security deposit in a bank account;
to return the security deposit (or balance after lawful deductions) with accrued interest within 30 days after termination of tenancy; or
to transfer the security deposit or last month's rent to the new landlord
. . . YOU ARE ENTITLED TO TRIPLE DAMAGES, PLUS COURT COSTS AND REASONABLE ATTORNEY FEES.

IF THE LANDLORD . . .

fails to furnish you with an itemized list of damages within 30 days after termination of tenancy if deductions are made for damages;
fails to make the security deposit records available for inspection during office hours; or
fails to provide, within 30 days of receipt of the deposit, another (see p. 6) receipt with name and location of bank and amount and account # of deposit;
uses a lease which contains provisions conflicting with the security deposit law and attempts to enforce these provisions or attempts to get you to sign a waiver of rights
. . . YOU ARE ENTITLED TO THE IMMEDIATE RETURN OF YOUR SECURITY DEPOSIT. THE LANDLORD CANNOT KEEP YOUR SECURITY DEPOSIT FOR ANY REASON, INCLUDING MAKING DEDUCTIONS FOR DAMAGE.

I've called our new landlord yesterday and left a message saying that I wouldn't be writing a check for August rent until I spoke with them about the security deposit. If our security deposit wasn't transferred, then we could sue. Now, since we really don't want to do that I'm going to pitch that we live rent-free through Sept 1st then we're free & clear. We've never received any interest in the 6 years that we've lived in the apartment (holy crap, it really has been that long in our 'temporary' apartment!) so I figure they owe us close to $750 back. That's more than the rent we're paying now so I imagine that they will go for the deal & cut their losses. If only I'd get a call back.

Mortgage company called to say that everything is in order, and that our PMI had dropped $10/month. Woo Hoo...we'll take it! Still waiting for the title to come in so we can close. ARG!! Blixx DID buy something for the house...paint. He matched the exterior color and got 2 gallons so we can do some touch up work. He's also packed up everything that isn't nailed down. I appreciate his efforts, but it took Grips & I entirely too long to find a bottle opener to open our wine the other night.

Blixx went hiking with Toad in the White Mountains yesterday. Before he left, I told him to be careful and to be home before midnight. Well, he called at around 8:30pm last night to ask if he could camp out overnight. Like he didn't have it planned all along!!!

I worked late yesterday, then went looking for a shower curtain. I'm looking for something really nice so if anyone has any ideas of where I should look, let me know. Ames & Target had nothing interesting. I definately want fabric, rather than plastic. I went to Spags and got 8 20 gallon totes - 4/$10! I just love a bargain!! They will be awesome storage in the basement and make packing and moving a breeze. By the time I got home it was after 8pm so I really just grabbed a quick dinner and only packed a few things. Ok, so packing is a loose term. I opened my roll top desk and dumped the contents into 2 boxes. Done! We're out of newspaper so I couldn't do any dishes or breakables. Sounds like a good excuse to finish the last of the Tanya Huff books I'd been reading.

No clue when Blixx will get home tonight or what we've got planned. We shall see.

No comments: