Monday, January 21, 2002

Ok, so how pissed off am I that the link to the Kevin Smith quiz doesn't work? Balls!

What I've been up to: Wednesday I drove into Boston for the Sales Conference. I HATE driving in Boston (Big Dig =Hell) and I'd actually rather drive on Long Island. Nope, not kidding. Anyway, I made it to the Copley Westin without incident, checked in and found that I had an hour or so to kill so I caught up on General Hospital, and even caught some Oprah. She had fat people on telling their stories about how they are ok with being fat, it's other people who have the problem. I ate a snickers from the mini bar while watching. I was at the conference to help out with registration - and ended up getting stuck with all of it. The other two girls who were supposed to help me got wrangled into other tasks, which left me handing out nametags etc to 250 or so folks that first night. It actually wasn't all that bad & I got to meet some folks that I'd been calling/e-mailing in Indy or our international offices. I must say now that the Netherlands produces some fine looking folks - men & women alike. Each was hotter than the last. It was quite remarkable.

Both days started entirely too early with tons to do, but the conferences themselves were quite interesting. The first day was just a bunch of Rah Rah Monster stuff, but the second morning they unveiled the Monster marketing campaign. Henry Rollins is the voice on our commercials this year, and he did a hysterical little promo just for us that had us all rolling. He's a funny dude.

***What I'm about to tell you can't leave this site. Burn your eyes after reading*** Monster has donated one of our Superbowl spots to Rudy Gulianni so that he can thank the nation for their support in light of the 9-11 disaster. I'm sure that the press will spin it that Rudy is sponsoring Monster or something like that, but I'll tell you the truth. Andy McElvey, the CEO of our parent company TMP, is a dynamic and really giving person. He wanted to make a donation of some sort, and actually worked his way all the way through the staff to get to Rudy himself. In discussing $$ amounts to be given to the 9-11 fund, Rudy expressed that he wanted to do a Thank You of some sort. Boom - one thing led to another and we've donated our very expensive commercial spot in the 1st quarter of play to Rudy. It's a touching spot and you should all watch for it. While shooting the promo, he had Rudy so a little shtick for the sales conference too which had us all rolling in our seats again.

There was much drinking and shenanigans - none of the specifics will interest you. It's a you had to be there kind of thing. Several managers and sales reps made total Asses out of themselves by getting piss drunk. Very funny. The highlight for me was that one of our reps is an accomplished musician and he grabbed the piano and was taking requests - a whole bunch of us were belting out show tunes. It was awesome! I haven’t sang (except for in the car to the radio or in the shower) in so long it really was a blast. Perhaps I'll try my hand at karaoke.

Drove to CT Saturday to get Jacknife a tattoo. Got a speeding ticket on the way. Poor Blixx got woken out of a nap to the cop asking for licence & registration. I've got the licence no problem, but my glovebox is a hellhole. Cop saw some baggies and got all freakie asking what was in them - potpouri actually...want to smell officer? He declined, gave me the ticket and walked away. Be warned - huge speed trap on Rt 84 just past the MA line at the weigh station. Good thing he didn't want to search the car - could have been really really screwed. I was thinking for a second about giving the cop a whole wrap about how I'm going to visit my sick grandmother, but then I realized that there was a case of beer in the backseat. Not really the gift you bring to a sick grandmother. Although, she'd probably appreciate it.

Jacknife got her tattoo and we watched movies and had a good time. Tempest was distracted by work. We're sitting in her livingroom bullshitting and she's got her laptop out doing a training schedule for work. The poor girl is working herself to the bone.I agree with Smithkid that she should Fook them. Fook them hard. So, I've created an agent on Monster for Tempest and I'll send over any relovant postings as they come in. Just because they gave a raise doesn't mean that they own your soul.

On memorials - I've been to my father's grave only once and it really didn't do much for me. I just think about him and he's there. The cement and stone don't have anything to do with him. I say that if they want an ethnicly diverse memorial for 911, then they shouldn't use the 3 firefighters raising the flag. Come up with something different, or shut the hell up. And if the statue is in stone or metal, it's not like you'll be able to tell what race the men are anyway...will ua? Am I wrong here? No...I'm never wrong. Ask Blixx...it was somehow his fault that I was pulled over. If he had been awake and amusing me, it never would have happened. Nope, it wouldn't.

No comments: