Wednesday, June 12, 2002

BITCHING ABOUT WORK AGAIN.....Yesterday was I think the worst day I’ve spent with this company, and it’s all my fault. I’m a Sr Telesales Administrator & I ‘keep an eye on’ two team members, Bounce (previously called Youngster, but this name seems more fitting lately) and Quietboy. I don’t manage them, because I’m not a manager. It’s a weird grey area that I’m still trying to figure out, and I’ve worked here for almost 2 years. Anyway, we send out sales reports to the department daily. These reports include the total outbound calls and talk time a Telesales rep makes, that type of thing. These are important reports, because they are viewed by senior management and used as a measurement tool in compensation for the (BMW drivin’) telesales reps. Enough background, the VP of Sales came to me yesterday questioning the validity of the reports. He was just about to call an emergency meeting to ream (his word) the Telesales managers because the call numbers were so low. I looked him in the eye and told him that of course the reports are correct - we know what we're doing. I then went in to the reports (cuz I'm paranoid), and saw to my HORROR that NO, they f*cking aren’t correct. At the end of the month, there’s a simple formula that needs to be changed. It takes 2 seconds, yet if not changed the report will be inaccurately date linked and the whole thing is BS. Quietboy failed miserably. He takes care of 3 regions, and NONE of them were correct – dates were wrong, formulas all screwed up…a mess!!!!! I bring this to his attention, after I spend an hour I didn’t have scrambling to check and recheck all regions, and he says he didn’t know it needed to be changed. He is a total 100% lying sack of poop, cuz I KNOW he was told. For Christ sakes, he’s the one who educated ME on building the reports when I started here.
This is my entire fault because I’ve grown complacent. I’m bored with working here and I’ve just let the two of them go about their daily duties, trusting that they would be done correctly. I mean, it’s an Excel spreadsheet that we cut & past information in to – not rocket science. Other than that, they pretty much stuff envelopes all day. With reviews coming up, I’m not bringing this to Dino’s attention, because it’s technically my responsibility to make sure they have their heads out of their asses and I failed. Doesn’t look good for me…for any of us! What I AM going to do is watch the two of them like a hawk and make sure that they are doing everything that they are supposed to be doing. Bounce is talking to me yesterday about how Quietboy never does anything and expects her to pick up his slack – I’m all like why haven’t I heard about this before? She said she didn’t think I cared.
Wow, that one will stick with me, cuz she’s absolutely right. I really haven’t been caring, but I guess I have to if I want to keep working here and get a raise. I’d thought I was doing a pretty good job and yesterday was a reality slap that I’ve got to actually give a shit and not just go through the motions if I’m going to go anywhere in this company.

No comments: