Wednesday, August 15, 2001


Mimes must die - no exceptions to that rule. Total agreement there, Nightskye!

I’m not sure to respond to the other rants – about how everyone should have a job and a place to live. I remember doing a project for a class in college that had us pretend that we’re a single mom on welfare. We had to plan a budget and come up with ads for apartments and shopping lists that we could afford – all planned out for a month. It was a damn hard project to complete, me being a spoiled CT brat who’d had everything handed to me. I really put a lot if time and work into it and was proud with the result. I’d gotten an A or 4.0 or whatever, but I remember one girl in the class berating me for feeding my fictional child hotdogs or mac and cheese for dinner. She disapproved of my choice of neighborhood where I’d gotten the cheapest apartment advertised. I calmly explained that my master plan was to be off Welfare in two years. I was saving something like $35 a week. It was a strange assignment but it really made me think about just how lucky I was growing up in the suburbs. I rail against my mother all the time, but my family did all right by me in a lot of ways. I think the most important thing a person can learn early on is to make the most of every opportunity given to them. Many out there never have had the opportunity to learn that lesson, or they bastardize it like the woman who used opportunity to lie to Purge and take his last $2 under false pretenses.

I had this whole rant of my own in response, but I think that sums it up. I don’t think it reasonable to assume that everyone realizes the opportunities available to them or is willing to put in the hard work in order to better himself or herself. I also think that Nightskye (and myself) growing up in a suburban home has sheltered us from the hard realities of having nothing and being beaten down. It’s probably pretty hard on the self-esteem to have folks like us casting a judgmental glare rather than a helping hand. Who are we to throw stones?

New topic – I think that death row inmates should be killed. No more of this hanging around until the 3rd appeal, eating 3 squares a day and watching Oprah on cable. Of course, innocent until proven guilty should still apply. However, I think there should be a limit to the amount of appeals before they throw the switch. We’d save tons on taxes by not having those mouths to feed, and free up more room in the already overcrowded prison system. Why do they call it death row if these folks wait years and years to die? I also believe that general population inmates should not have cable and all the other comforts of home, unless as a reward for good behavior. Inmates should all have to work. Make license plates, clean laundry…whatever. And good work there would be rewarded with Oprah… or Oz, whatever they are into. This would instill a good work ethic. And I think the only proper punishment for convicted child molesters should be death. There…discuss among yourselves.

On a lighter note, Nightskye sent me the funniest link ever. It brought me back to the good ol’ days of Shadowrumming all night in Tempest’s Bliss room, drinking Molson and whatever was on sale. If you aren’t into Gaming, you won’t think this is funny. Me, I almost wet myself. Here’s the link, as he thoughtlessly did not provide it on his own blog.

Into the future…

No comments: