Tuesday, August 28, 2001

More on my vacation. If you are just tuning in, you should check out yesterday's post so that you start at the beginning.


Friday morning was a rocky start with the tensions running high. The women & children were leaving so DaveGrips had to pack up the car for them. Blixx was feeling like crap because of his ankle – and I’m sure the SoCo didn’t help too much either. Once Blixx decided that he was going rafting come Hell or high water it all calmed down. I’m sure if a doctor had looked at his injury it would have been recommended that he say home and take it easy, but my hubby is a trooper! Off we went.
The folks we went rafting with were…Maine born & bread. They used the word ‘ain’t’ frequently and the ladies had more facial hair than Blixx. No lie…I’m talking big nasty unruly mustaches! They were nice enough people, but an older crowd. MattMatt had the day off from being a guide so he decided to come along with us. Jillybean was our guide. We started off on the hard (FUN) part of the river with the Moxie bus driver, grandma, her 40ish year old daughter and their maybe 11 year old son Bernard. I know you are tempted to pronounce his name as Ber-nard. Oh no, we were corrected numerous times. It’s Behh-nud. The kid sat in the very front of the boat and took huge mouthfuls of water on the rapids, but seemed to be having a good time. At least he could take directions. Grandma had been rafting before but she was still scared shitless. Jillybean isn’t one to take it easy so we hit all the rapids good and hard. I’ve got to add here that this is my 3rd time on the Kennebec River and I’m not sure that I’ll go back. I’ve been there and done that and I didn’t get that rush of adrenaline/fear like I did last time. That river bores me so it’s time to move on.
Once we got through the difficult rapids, we stop to pick up the coolers etc to bring them down river for lunch. The bus driver got out, but was replaced by 6 year old Coty. This was the most annoying kid I’ve ever met. He drove us all crazy because all he wanted to do was get out of the boat and swim. Now, there’s plenty of spots where it’s safe to do this and I personally had a terrific time floating in class 2 rapids and cooling off. Coty thought it would be cool to swim whenever and wherever he wanted. I’d thought that Jillybean had endless patience for kids, but Coty pushed her almost to the breaking point. Thankfully MattMatt was at the front of the boat to haul him back in when he slipped out of the boat at dangerous times. And, when it was safe to swim MattMatt was more than willing to chuck the little boy as far as he could, and turn the boat away from him to make him work to get back in. This kid was a total pain in the ass and put a damper on the 2nd ½ of the trip, which is supposed to be more relaxing. I found a comfortable lounging spot after a while and just floated along and baked in the sun. I put on sunscreen, but I should have used more or a higher SPF value because I right now have one of the worst burns I’ve ever had. They are almost 2nd degree (blisters & whatnot) and it still hurts after 4 days. Yeah, I’m a dumbass.
*****time passes, as there is work to be done*****
Ok, I'm going to have to be more concise, as this whole work thing is really getting in the way of blogging. After rafting we went with MattMatt out into the woods in his beat down piece of crap pick up and I watched as the boys blew things up with a shotgun. Yep, you read me right.DaveGrips couldn't manage to hit any targets, but Blixx blasted everything in site. Ok, so Blixx's targets weren't moving. It was still kind of impressive, in a scary way. After that we went to the store for more beer (panic! only a 30 pack left!) then back to the house for some vittles. Blixx cooked again. Some of the guides came over for a bit, but they all had to work early the next day so they bailed. We actually turned in relatively early too, as we'd had quite the 2 days full of adventures.
I was up around 7am on Saturday because I couldn't sleep on my sunburn. It was really throbbing by this point. Blixx was up next around 9:30 and DaveGrips managed to sleep until 10:30, which is a new record for him - must have something to do with the 2 year old being hundreds of miles away. We ate steak and eggs and some strange onion thing that Blixx came up with, cleaned the house and off we went. DaveGrips and I swapped driving - we switched every pee break, which was often as we'd stopped at the first Dunkin Donuts we found for a large ice coffee.
We spent Sunday over at DaveGrips with Toad installing new windows in their house. I know - the excitement never ends. We're just earning points so that when we ever get a house we've got unlimited free labor. They just got the cutest little kitten named Jerimiah. He slept in my arms the whole way back to their house. I'm up Blixx's ass sideways for a new kittie but he isn't into it. Oh well. I'll keep trying.
So that's the story of my Maine adventures. I'm tired and totally sick of driving, but the natural beauty of the area is breathtaking. It makes me realize that I'm just not cut out to be a city girl and that I need some space to roam. Too bad houses in the woods are either too expensive or too far away from work. Balls!
Tomorrow I will tell you a little story of the mariage made in Hell. Tonight Blixx is kayaking with Toad so I think I'll go home & get into bed with a book and a cat. I'm so boring.
Into the future...

No comments: