Friday, September 21, 2001

“Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done.” President Bush, Address to Congress, September 20, 2001

Click HERE for a full transcript of the President’s speech last night. I wasn’t going to watch, telling myself that I didn’t need to know what he had to say. It terrified me to the core.

We’re going to war. I just can’t get my mind to fully wrap itself around the idea. War is something you study in school, not something that you live through. This will be no Gulf War, watched from the safety of our living rooms. People we know are going to go to war and may not come back. We already have our citizen soldiers working as rescue & recovery crews for the WTC and Pentagon disasters. Read Ally's post...she speaks from the heart. I cried.

Is anyone else concerned over the global implications of the edict “Either you are with us or you are with the terrorists?” In essence we’re declaring war on all of the Middle East and any countries that for whatever reason cannot or will not contribute their armed forces to this battle.

“In all that lies before us, may God grant us wisdom and may he watch over the United States of America. Thank you.”
I knew that he would mention God and I had planned on a raging editorial about the separation of church and state…not today. We all need to cling to our faith (in a higher power, in ourselves, in each other) to get through the next few days/weeks/months/years.

FROM THE BOSTON HERALD:
BOSTON -- U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft told acting Gov. Jane Swift and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino that terrorist strikes could be attempted in Boston in the coming days, though he stressed that no specific threats had been made.Authorities have said that Sept. 22 -- Saturday -- emerged as an important date in evidence found during investigations into the hijackers.
An unidentified source told the Herald that following Thursday's telephone call, law enforcement agencies will be out in force at places such as Logan airport and the Quabbin Reservoir, which provides Boston with much of its drinking water.

**********************************************************************************


Just last week I was sitting in a bar kicking Grips & telling him to snap out of it. He's worried about his family. He's worried what kind of world little V will grow up in. I don't know why it took until now for it to really sink in, but I'm scared too. I'm scared that I came THIS CLOSE to the American Dream, only to have it torn away! All of my expectations for my future and family are in flux. Do I even want to bring children into the world?

I'm also worried that jobs will dry up and the ecomomy will go into a recession and I'll get laid off from Monster. I'm worried that Blixx won't be able to find any work other than covering news developments. I'm worried that the terrorists will continue to attack us on our soil, but I'm also worried that we'll have to live in fear of these attacks forever.They really don't have to do anything else to us...we're scared enough. I'm worried that our children will grow up in a world of fear, where the words 'war effort' and 'rationing' are as common to us as Nintendo and candy.

Nightskye posts some rants today about Broadway's blog and while I do feel bad that these broadway shows are closing, I really don't think this is the worst of our problems. Getting transportation in and out of the city is a bitch, and with all of the news coverage showing NYC in ruins, you can't blame the rich tourists from CT for not wanting to make the journey. I'm sorry Broadway & Skye, but think about it. Certainly, buy tickets for shows. Hell, support the major sports and venues in your area, because if broadway is effected now, it only stands to reason that the entire entertainment industry will falter. Blixx has plenty of work this month, but what about next...? Next year? Definately support the arts, but don't have unrealistic expectations.

If it makes people feel better to cancel vacations and pull money out of the markets, so be it. I personally am going to look into purchasing some stocks dirt cheap so that I'l be wealthy (American Dream) when this thing is all over. I'm also still flying to Orlando in October. I figure, what the fuck? Anything could happen at any time and we're all very mortal. If I'm meant to die in a crash, I tell you that I'd be one of the passengers who fights back!

I heard a story on the radio today. On a recent flight out of Denver, the pilot came over the intercom and said (total paraphrase here, don't sue) to the passengers "We're on our own here people and we have to watch out for each other. I want to assure you that security has gone over thae plane and there is no bomb on board. If anyone were to say so, they would be lying. If anyone were to stand up and attempt a hijacking, I want you to remember that there are 100 of you and only one of them. Stand proud and tall and make subdue the attacker using a blanket over their head." The pilot went on to say "I want you to turn to your neighbors and introduce yourselves. Share a bit about your backround and life with them. Shake hands or hug, because life is important and we should share love and good will with as many people as possible." And with that, the plane took off for a successful and uneventful journey.

Love hard - it may be all we really have. Blixx came home from Springfield at 9:30 PM last night and was exhausted and hungry. I made him a jumbo turkey sandwich and grabbed him a beer. I went upstairs and remade the bed so the featherbed was all puffy and fresh. I was a little disappointed that he was so very tired and strung out (I haven't seen him in a few days and it feels like forever since we had a real conversation) but I wanted him to be comfortable. As expected, he crashed out pretty early. As I laid in bed next to him, pondering weekend plans and how to make the most of the little time I get to spend with him, he reached out and touched my arm. He then fell into a deep deep sleep, all the while touching my arm lovingly. At some point I had to roll over, so I removed his touch. He found me again and continued to have a hand on me all night long. Even in sleep, he was reaching out to be sure that I was close. It was so sentimental and moving to me. I do so love him!

Peace.

No comments: