Tuesday, May 28, 2002

I have the DT's...no beer for almost 12 hours and I've got the shakes. I've got a hangover from 4 days of pretty much non-stop debauchery and I just don't know how I'm going to make it through the rest of the day at work. I'm stupid tired.

Blixx & I were the first to arrive & set up camp, which left us the afternoon to relax. Folks started straggling in and by the time it was dinnertime, we were all sharing Teacher's food, since she brought WAY too much. Hey, lucky for us! GeriDog, Grips mother, was there and I apparently offended her by referring to their campsite as the Nursing Home & Nursery. I implied that she doesn't pull her own weight and she didn't talk to me for the rest of the night. I honestly didn't know I'd pissed her off until Grips asked me to fix whatever I'd done to reduce the drama. I apologized, but I think I'm on her shit list now. Oh well, I feel like family.

The weather was pretty good all in all, with only a few showers to dampen our adventures. Saturday was a lazy day. The boys went out in the kayaks while I sat on the point (pictures coming soon) reading A Caress of Twilight (newest in the Merridith Gentry series. Na Na!), getting a wicked sunburn. My nose is less Rudolph today, but my legs are still red and swollen. It doesn't help that I got a bug bite on my shin that I can't itch without excruciating pain. Yeah, I burned myself again. Blixx was so pleased. Blixx actually let me cook the steak tips on the grill for dinner, with very little drama. He likes to be the camp cook guy and is reluctant to let anyone else into the role. Jillybean showed up at some point so we chatted around the fire while some of the group went on a late night paddle. I was too cold and tired to go. It was cloudy anyway, so no biggie. The campfire and smores were just fine for me.

Sunday the boys were heading out on a paddling mission. As I'm in the tent getting ready to go, I hear SPLASH followed by "OH MY GOD!" He He He Grips was in the canoe and took a little swim. While that was funny, as well as watching him swim back to shore...the funniest is when he was back at camp and went to move his arms - gallons of water were pouring off of him. After that, I decided that he needed the paddle more than I did so I let him take Mellow Yellow, the kayak I usually use. I didn't know it then, but they were on an all day mission. After waiting around to see if they would come back (what was I thinking?), I took a little walk in the woods with Crafty, Anime, GeriDog, Teacher and little V. For a 2 year old, she is such a wonder to be around. She gets cranky when she's tired, but it takes a whole lot to push her over the edge into hysterics. She was perfectly happy to wander the campground and I think she had a really good time.

I was on baby time all day Sunday. We ate, then it was time for a rest around the fire. We ate again, then went for the walk. I wandered back to my site and laid down for a few hour nap, which was heaven. It was CCCCCOOOOOLLLLLLDDDDD at night and I found myself sleeping wearing everything I brought with me, including my hooded sweatshirt up around my ears. I didn't sleep too well at night, but the nap was wonderful. Then it was sausage, pepper & onion on the grill time, followed by doughboys. You take popinfresh crescent roll dough and wrap a piece around a stick. Toast in fire until done. Remove from stick, add a little butter, cinnamon & sugar and enjoy. They are a little bit of heaven and I'm glad that Crafty brought them! Mmmmm. They taste just like fried dough at the fair.

When the boys came back, we commenced drinking by the fire again. Birdgirl's friend Rob showed up...at night...with no flashlight! He was able to convince another camper to walk him out to our site. Rob reminds me of Nightskye...not in looks, but in personality (read: attention slut) and mannerisms. He's a cool guy and an excellent addition to the party mix. Sunday night was the late night flotilla under the crystal clear sky - did I mention it was a full moon? You didn't need a flashlight to see your way between campsites. The glow was casting shadows on the water. We floated around drinking beers in the silence and wonder of nature, under the full moon's glow through the trees. Wow!

We were supposed to be off the site by 11am, but decided that it was worth paying for an extra day, just so we didn't have to rush. We had everything but the kitchen sink for breakfast, which was wonderful! Then there was a lot more sitting around the campfire drinking. I was getting a little edgy with all that nothing to do, so I jumped into Mellow Yellow and headed out for a while. This was the very first time that I'd been out in the kayak on my own. I didn't stay out long, because I was so burned from Saturday and I didn't want my nose to get any redder, but I did explore the far side of the lake and some of the neat little islands out there. Toad was all 'where's she going?' but I just wanted to be alone and on the water. Ok, so I wanted to burn off some breakfast and shake off the hangover from the night before. It was fab! We didn't break camp until after 4pm and no rangers ever came by, so we didn't have to pay extra.

Rather than load all of our gear on to the carts, we had Grips leave the canoe and we loaded it with all of our gear. Blixx towed it back to the boat launch and we just loaded the Jeep there. Super easy and definitely the way to go next year. The canoe is borrowed, but since the dude never uses it I think we'll keep it somewhere until he asks for it back. So, we have a canoe. Before we left the area, we went to Doane's Falls and checked out the view there. Despite the enormous and vicious mosquitoes it's a beautiful spot that we want to investigate further. Made it back to Toads to drop off boats and gear around 8pm and found that it had poured there during the day - we got lucky with weather! Back home for 9pm and we didn't even have the energy to unpack the Jeep. Other than the cooler and my toiletry bag, everything is still in there just the way we left it, which must smell wicked funky by now.

All in all it was a terrific weekend and I think it will become a tradition with us. Memorial Day at Tully. Woo Hoo!

Now I'm off to try & eat something, and pull myself together. Wish me luck.

No comments: