Thursday, November 01, 2001

I just heard a great story. In a small town in California, on September 11th, a Budweiser driver went to make a delivery to a convenience store on his route. He entered the store, and the Arab owners were wooping it up, elated by the terrorist events. The Bud driver went out to his truck and called his boss in horror, explaining that he just couldn't make his delivery because he was so angry. The boss was equally horrified, and asked that the driver DID return to the store...and to remove every Bud product from it.
He declaired that they would never deliver to them again! Apparently, Bud is the drink of choice in the community and this caused quite the ruckus. It seems that the Bud driver told all of his friends this horrible story and how Bud handled the situation. His friend the Pepsi Co delivery man called his boss and explained the story to him. Lo and behold, the Pepsi driver was told to go into the store and remove everything and anything on their product line (that's also Frito-lay products!). Word spread and now the store has few customers and even less product.

Capitolism is the American dream...not the Arab dream!!!

*************************************************************************


There are some people that you know are going to be a part of your life forever. I'm confident that in 20 years I will still be in contact with Tempest and Jacknife. Grips will always be around for Blixx and I, and us for him and his family. You just know, ya know? Here's a story for you. I met JC while attending Colby Sawyer College in NH. We had some mutual friends and partied together often. That time in my life was filled with REALLY REALLY BAD DECISIONS and he was witness to the whole thing. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about here...I was seeing someone (BAD DECISION), but this other person liked me. I had no clue, as I was under the watchful and abusive eye of Doc. Anyway, this other person decided to break up Doc & I by putting road kill all over Doc's car...not in bags, but the actual carcas strewn all over the white Yugo...blood & guts everywhere. "I did it for you!" These are the crazy ass people I was with and I'm still thankful that I came to my senses. So, JC was there to see all of this and me at one of my darkest hours.

Years go by, and I'm pretty much together (quiet you sarcastic people!) at FSC, going to class, having fun but not TOO much fun. I's met Blixx by this time and we were almost exclusively hanging out. And what do my wondering eyes should appear, but JC. He was a communications student and had some classes with Blixx. Small world. I made him promise to never ever ever share any of the deep dark goings on of Colby Sawyer and he agreed, as long as I followed the same rule in regard to his pizza delivery sluttiness. We hung out, but only really on the fringes of each others social circles, although we were on the Major's dart team for a bit which was a hoot. I don't know when or why, but I just knew that I'd know him for a long time.

I haven't thought about or seen JC in years since the great retreat from FSC and the move to Worcester. We have mutual friends and occationally I'll hear something about him, but mostly we just keep on keeping on. Then today, walking out of the builing cafeteria...JC!!! He's working for Verizon in my building! I can't believe it. He's married with a daughter. We promised to do lunch one day...I wonder if we will. EJ, another guy I knew from FSC works in the building too but I hardly ever see him, and we made the same promises.

It's wierd who walks in and out of your life. Makes you go Hmmmmm.......

Peace.

No comments: